Jelena Tomašević was born in Podgorica, Montenegro in 1974.
Jelena lives and works in Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina. She graduated from the school of fine arts MFA, Academy of Fine Arts in Cetijie, Montenegro. Her work has been shown in several museums: the Kunstalle Fredricianum, Kassel, Germany, Center for Contemporary Art Podgorica, Montenegro, National Museum of Montenegro, Whitebox Art Center New York, USA, the 9th International Istanbul Biennial, Istanbul, Turkey. She also represented Montenegro/Serbia at the 51st Venice Biennal. In 2017 she won the 23rd edition of the Onufri Prize, at the National Gallery in Tirana, Albania, curated by Gaetano Centrone.
Mixed Memories, Rita Urso Gallery, Milano, Italy
Burden of Proof, Galerie Perpetuel, Frankfurt, Germany
Installation Life Interest, Handel Street Projects, London
Installation Object of Punishment, Galerie Perpetuel Frankfurt, Germany
Video Rain, Residency Unlimited,New York.USA
Video Installation, Galerie Herrenhausen, Hannover, Germany
Apparent Servitude, Artopia Gallery, Milano, Italy
Apparent Servitude, Center for Contemporary Art Podgorica, Montenegro
Just Kidding, Video, Gallery Thrust Projects, New York
Exhibition “Now That We Have Gone As Far As We Can Go....” Galerie Conrads, Düsseldorf, Germany
Just Kidding, Artopia Gallery, Milan Italy, Curated by Gabriela Serusi
Buero.DC, Cologne, Germany, Curated by Susanne Prinz
Joy of Life II, Thrust Projects, New York
Love Machines, Installation Budva, Montenegro.
Thordis Adalsteinsdottir | Emanuele Becheri | Adrian Paci | Renata Poljak | Giada Giulia Pucci | Moira Ricci | Jelena Tomašević | ZAPRUDER Filmmakersgroup, The Line of Sight, Rita Urso Gallery, Milano, Italy
Good Trouble. Artists responds to the 2020 Presidential Election", New York, Whitebox Art Center
• Exodus- National Museum of Montenegro
• White Anxieties
• Unprofessionals, Art Gallery, Podgorica, Montenegro.
• Perceptions, National Museum Cetinje, Montenegro
• Unprofessional, ISU- Institute for Contemporary Art, Podgorica, Montenegro.
She represented Montenegro/Serbia at the 51st Venice Biennal.
• Autostrada Bienale, The Future of Borders, curated by Manray Hsu.
• Art of the Postcard, Handel Street Projects, London, UK.
• Beacon Bureau at Roaming Room-Roaming Room, London
• Gallery Centar, Podgorica, Montenegro.
• Concrete+Clay, Roaming Room, London.UK.
• Coming all Together Galerie Perpetuel Frankfurt, Germany.
• Cold Winds from Balkan, Pera Museum, Istanbul, curated by Ali Akayi and Alenka
• Midpointness, Transart Triennial. UK.
• Midpointness Airspace Gallery, Stoke, UK.
• Strageness/ Amazingness, 49. Hercegnovski zimski salon, Galerija Josip-Bepo
Benkovic, Herceg Novi, Montenegro.
• Exhibition Recycling Religion, White Box Galerry New York, USA
• Exhibition Recycling Religion, Satellite Art Fair, MIAMI, USA
• Satellite Art FAIR, Miami, USA
• Intimate Transgressions White Box Gallery New York, USA
• Wo das Gras gruner ist, Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein
• Coexistance for a new Adriatic koine, Fondazione Museo Pino Pascali, Polignano a mare, Italy
• Exhibition Coexitence, National Museum, Cetinje, Montenegro
• Exhibition Procvetaj, Cveta Zuzuric, Beograd
• Exhibition Coexitence, National Museum Tirana Albania
• Exhibition EGO SUM, Center for Contemporary Art Montenegro • Paint Me Sculpturly, Artopia Gallery, MILANO, ITALY
• Exhibition, Imaginarni Balkan, Belgrade, Serbia, Curated by Bosko Boskovic • Exhibition, Subjective Maps/Disappearances-National Gallery of Iceland
• Group Exhibition Sarajevo
• Charlama Balkana, Luciano Benetton, Italy
• Exhibition Crossing, National Centre for Contemporary Art, Ekaterinburg, Russia.
• Exhibition Fluidentiteti ArsAevi, Sarajevo.BIH
• Exhibition Crossing Museum of Contemporary Art Erarta u Sankt Peterburgu , Russia. • Exhibition Multipla Market, Handel Street Project, London, UK.
• Exhibition Free Port of Art, Trieste Contemporanea, Italy
• 1 Time Machine Biennale, Atomski bunker, Konjic, Bosnia and Hercogovina The Quadrilateral Biennial_Out of Left Field-MMSU-Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Rijeka, HR
• Exhibition Real Presence, Belgrade-Serbia
• Quartet-Four Biennials Reflected in Prints-International Centre of Grafic Arts MGLC, Ljubljana, SLO. Curated by Rene Block
• Exhibition Sweet Little Dirty Things, Kultur Kontakt, Wien, Austria
• Exhibition, Gender Check, Zacheta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw
• Exhibition, The Rise and Fall of Excess Culture, Stux Gallery NYC
• Exhibition, Dear Countryman and Women, Gallery MC, New York
• Exhibition Gender Check, MUMOK Museum, Wien, Austria
• Exhibition Piccolo Stato, San Marino
• Exhibition, Festival novih vizuelnih tendencija, While Rome is Burning, Dom omladine Beograda
• Exhibition farmers Market, Gallery Handle Street Projects, London
• Quartett/Vier Biennalen im Spiegel grafisher Blatter, TANAS, Berlin/Germany, curated by Rene Block
• Art Forum Berlin, Galerie Conrads
• Arco Madrid, Galerie Conrads
• Exhibition Artist/Citizen 49 October Salon, Belgrade
• Pulse Art, NYC, U.S.A
• Art Brussels, Galerie Conrads
• Exhibition Best Regards from the blind spot Centro Cultural Montehermoso, Bilbao • Exhibition Regards from Serbia and Montenegro, Sacramento State University
• Exhibition Horizon EFA Gallery, Curated by David Humphtey, New York
• Inbetweeness, Roma, Italy
• Off – Center Femininities, Windows of Kimmel Center, New York University, Curated by Jovana Stokic
• Art Brussels, Galerie Cobnrads
• Lollypop, Body and Consumption, Museum of Contemporary Arts of Vojvodina - Serbia
• Collapsible Monuments, Thrust Projects, New York
• Art , Life & Confusion, 47th October Salon Belgrade, Serbia, Curated by Rene Block ana Barbara Hinrich
• Vienna Art, Thrust Projects
• Cross the Line, Galerie Conrads, Dusseldorf, Germany
• East to West, AP4-ART, Geneva, Switzerland
• The Biennial Portfolios, 9th International Istanbul Biennial, Istanbul, Curated by Rene Block
• Montenegrin Beauty, Kunstlerhaus Behanien Berlin, Germany
• Montenegrin Beauty, Mottorenhalle, Dresden, Germany
• The Eros of Slight Offence, Pvilion of Serbia & Montenegro, 51 st Venicce Biennial, Venice-Italy
• S1 Salon-Sheffield, UK
• In the Gorges of the Balkans, Kunsthalle Fridericianum Museum Kassel
• Onufri International Prize, National Gallery of Arts, Tirana, Albania
• Award Hercegnovskog likovnog salona 2016 -Montenegro
• Award for best young artist of Montenegro, Centar for Contemporary Art
• Award Hercegnovski likovni salon 2001- Montenegro
• Award Hercegnovski likovni salon 1991-Montenegro
• Award Milunovic-Stijovic-Lubarda - Montenegro
• Award Podgoricki likovni salon 1990-Montenegro
SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY AND PUBLICATIONS
15th Istanbul Biennial,Book, A good Neibghour,-Short story, page. 536 Concept: Elmgreen& Dragset. Editor: Erin Serifoglu.
Art in America, by Linda Nochlin, "Venice Bienniale, What Befits a Woman?“, September 2005 p. 123
Flash Art, by Andrea Bellini "Cautions Alternatives" August - September 2006
Art In America "by Stephen Maine, "Report from New York Down East" May 2006, p. 65
NY Arts Magazine by Jovana Stokic "Cosmopolitan Subject" March-April 2007, p. 38
ARTIBUNE Italia, by Cristiana Colli," Il nuovo Kosovo passa per Autostrada Biennale" 31 August 2017
Journal Frankfurt, by Ana Maria Milkovic" Auf der Suche nach Schwimmbad und einem Gedanken von Jean-Christophe Ammann" September 2016
Sacramento News&Review, by Jonathan Kiefer, "Sharpest Regards", June 2007
Financial Times London, by Harriet Fitch Little,"Is loyalty to an art gallery outdated?" 23 September 2016
The Paris Review, by David Gendelman, "Offsides, part 2“, 24 January 2013
Psychology Tomorrow Magazine, New YORK, "Concrete Counterpoints“, 10 May 2013
FREENET, by Bulent Gunduz, "Grobte Kunstschau der Welt" 24 November 2003
Focus, by J Emil Sennewald,"Zwischen Erfahrung und Engagament" 7 August 2005
Artmargins online, by Dimitri Kozyrev, "Un-doing monoculture: women artists from the "Blind spot of Europe" - the former Yugoslavia“, 10 March 2006
Wall Street International Art "Paint me Sculpturally“ , March-May 2014
Kunst Bulletin, by J .Emil Sennewald, "Zwischen Erfahrung und Engagement" August 2005
Pudding Explosion, by Michalea Fila "Jelena Tomasevic - Object of Punishment in der Galerie Perpetuel"
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, by Christoph Schutte, " Duschen und Staunen" 19 October 2013, p. 50
Catalogue Jelena Tomasevic, "Life Interest" 2016, Publisher: Handel Street Projects, London, p 2. Darian Leader.
Catalogue: Inbetweeness- Balcani:metafore di cambiamento.
Jelena Tomasevic, p. 78. Lodovico Pratesi e Dobrila Denegri. Editors: Hopefulmonster editore, Torino. 2007
Catalogue: Jelena Tomasevic " Apparent Servitude. p 3. Petar Cukovic: Cemu kontejneri u oskudno vrijeme? Published by Center for Contemporary Art, Montenegro, 2010.
Catalogue: Cold Front from the Balkans, Editor: Pera Museum Istanbul, p 120
Catalogue: Bound/Less Borders, Editor: Goethe Institute Belgrade 2002, p 28.
Catalogue: Art, Life & Confusion. Editor: Kulturni centar Beograd. Rene Block. p 206
Catalogue:“In Den Schluchten Des Balkan” Editor Barbara Heinrich, Izdavač: Documenta und Museum Fridericianum.2003. str 121
Catalogue:Noten Und Notizien, 2010, Hannover, p 59. Editor: Hannoversche Gesellschaff fur Neue Music e. V
Catalogue: Road on The Wall, Wall AS a Road, Text by Svetlana Racanovic, 2004 p 4
Catalogue: Urbanci, Text by Petar Cukovic, Editor National Museum of Montenegro, p 22
Catalogue: Eros of Slight Offence, Svetlana Racanovic p 55, 2005, Editor National Museum of Montenegro Book, Milenijumski bag, Svetlana Racanovic p 54